When an idea pops into my head, I find it really difficult to let it go. This homemade lip balm recipe is a prime example of what happens when I get fixated on an idea. It wasn’t in an effort to save money or have more lip balm—I’m already a lip product junkie—but rather to challenge myself.
It took some playing around before I was satisfied with the finished product. I quickly learned that beeswax is a complimentary ingredient and should be used sparingly. Next time I try this recipe I’ll use Shea butter, which I truthfully had trouble finding. It must have been in one of the three stores I combed through to get the ingredients; I’m sure you could find it at your local health food store.
I enhanced my lip balm with a bit of lipstick that I was finished with, creating more of a lip tint. This step is completely optional, but I found it a great way to use up colours that I found to be a bit too bold.
Homemade Lip Balm
Total Time: 15-20mins
- Coconut Oil or Shea Butter
- Spearmint or flavoured essential oil
- Lipstick (optional)
- A small, shallow container to hold the lip balm
- Combine 2 parts coconut oil/Shea butter and 1 part beeswax in a microwave safe container (a small Pyrex measuring cup works best)
- Microwave the coconut oil/Shea butter and beeswax mixture in 20 second intervals until melted
- Add a drop of essential oil to the mixture
- Optional: Add a small piece of lipstick to tint the mixture (you may have to re-melt at this point)
- Pour into your container of choice
*Note: If you feel uncomfortable using a microwave, the mixture can also be melted in a small saucepan on medium heat—however I found that method to be extremely messy.